Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Notes From Our First Dance Class

Yes, I did type "our first dance class" because it was mine and Bella's first day.  I have never been to a dance class nor have I ever taken dance but I came away with lots of notes that I would like to share with you... 

  • Arrive in enough time to get a good seat.  Up front where you can actually watch your daughter practice.  Not stuck behind the family of 40 who come to watch one child.  Yes I'm exaggerating but damn people, have some manners and sit down please.

  • Have your daughter try on her tights before the first day of dance class to make sure they actually fit her.  Apparently they come with wide-ass feet!  Who knew?

  • Dress comfortable.  Try not to come straight from work with heels on.  I was fine but when one has to take her child to the bathroom and you must walk across the gymnastics mat, the girls cringe at the sight of your heels. Tippy toe walking in heels is not as easy as you think. 

  • Bring tissues for two reasons.  One, you may cry at how beautiful your daughter looks.  Two, your daughter may need to wipe her runny nose as its very cold in the practice area. 

  • Wear light clothing.  Its warm in the "watch" area.

  • In the off chance you arrive late and get a back row seat, bring something to entertain yourself as straining your neck to see your child gets old, plus it hurts. 

  •  Throw a granola bar and bottle of water in your bag as well.  Thirstiness (a word my sis and mom came up with) and the urge for a snack hits when you least expect it. That hour can last longer than you think.

  • Ballet is absolutely beautiful, even when its little ones learning the craft.

  • Most importantly, when your child waves or smiles at you, wave back, give her thumbs up and blow kisses so she knows she is doing an awesome job, then motion for her to pay attention.

My girl did a great job on her first day.  She started out a little rough but quickly came around and got in the game.  They started with ballet so she was a little disappointed. She prefers her "clacking" shoes (tap) to her ballet shoes.  I'm going to make some adjustments to her attire (tights) and prepare my Daddy as much as I can because next Monday, he will be getting her ready and taking her. That, my dear friends, is an awesome Pop...and Daddy!!

No comments: