Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Spring Garden

We got the garden done this weekend!!  It was a much easier process this year since we weren't starting from scratch.  Planting a garden in the Fall helped as well, even though that one didn't really work out for us, tilling up the dirt did. 

Tony tilling up the dirt....


We added 12 bags of manure to this.  Thankful I was able to take my brother's truck to pick that up.  I was bad about taking pictures this time around, but Tony captured this one while Chris and I were raking up the rows...

 
And our finished product...well almost finished.  We will plant cucumbers in a couple weeks...
 
 
That little patch right up front is Christopher's little strawberry patch.  He wanted to try some this year.  Not sure they'll make (its a little late) but who knows.  We're going to get some chicken wire and rig it up in an effort to keep the birds out.  We'll see how he likes it.  The next row will be cucumbers.  Didn't get a trellis (yet) but I'm still going to look into it.  After that we have a row dedicated to squash and zucchini, followed by two rows of green beans, a row of tators and a row of tomatoes and jalapeno peppers.  On the other side of that is an area dedicated to my flowers.  We're trying something different.  I'm told this is the Grandma Berger method of growing flowers.  We've scattered seed all over this area...no rows, just dirt and seeds.  I did plant the sunflowers in a row on the far right side.  In the middle is zinnias, poppy, daisies and I think something else?????  Memory is failing me right now.  Still no signs but I did find a flag that said "Welcome To Our Garden".  Christopher placed it up by his strawberries.  I also did not find any purple hull peas so those did not make the cut.  Maybe next year.   
 
Now for the downside portion of this weekend.  As I was walking outside Saturday morning to open the garage up and pull the hoes and rakes out, I discovered my water heater leaking.  Yay me!  Tony checked it out when he arrived and confirmed that it was leaking.  Where he wasn't sure but I couldn't remember how old it was and he decided it'd be best for me to replace it.  Ah, the joys of being a homeowner.  After we finished the garden, we ventured to Lowes and made a selection.  Not a cheap purchase but I tell you what guys, my brother is freaking awesome in case y'all didn't know it already because he saved me $300 in installation fees by replacing this himself.  While he and Chris did this Sunday, I stayed out of the way (until they needed me) and raked bags and bags of leaves.  You know, fun stuff!  At the end of the day, we grilled steaks, had some tators and corn on the cob as a thank you to my brother and son for helping me out.  I pitched in some beer too this weekend. That cold beer tasted oh so good after working in the yard all day.
 
All I can say is THANK GOD FOR BIG BROTHERS!!  He saved me again.  :)
 
Y'all have a good one!   

No comments: