Monday, February 20, 2017

Cookies From The Heart

Today was very much needed extra day off for me and the kids.  I knew it was supposed to be a rainy day so I told Bella we could bake cookies if she wanted to.  Boy she jumped at that.  She was watching Pioneer Woman with me last weekend and saw these cookies and wanted to make them so that's what we we did.


A few things about these cookies.  Chilling the dough is required which was no problem, but I did learn that I roll out dough too slow.  I had to chill the dough again after cutting only 4 cookies.  It became too sticky and once the cookies were cut, I had a hard time getting them from board to baking sheet without messing them up.  The other thing you should know is instead of using flour when rolling out your dough, you use cocoa powder.  I just thought flour made a mess.  No comparison.  After chilling the dough three times, we got 15 cookies and called it good.  I probably could have gotten 2 more but I was done chilling and rolling.  :)

Here are our results...



Instead of stenciled letters, I used a smaller heart shaped cookie cutter for the powdered sugar.  Using a small x-acto knife, I traced/cut the heart out of wax paper.  Placed the wax paper on top of the cookie, then sprinkled the powdered sugar on top.  Bella thought this was GENIUS!!  I love that I can still impress the heck out of my 8 year old. 

The cookies are good.  They are very, very chocolatey. I like chocolate but I'm not a big fan of chocolate, if that makes any sense at all.  If I'm baking a cake, it will be a yellow cake, not chocolate. Every now and then I'll crave chocolate, but not at the top of my got to have it, love, love, love it list.  Christopher wouldn't touch them.  He's never been a chocolate fan either, but give him Reese's Peanut Cups and he'll love you forever.  Bella loves them.  No surprise there.  I think I will stick with my Sweeties.  Now that's a cookie I love but have never attempted to make before.  I think I don't want to mess with perfection.  ha!  

The last I left y'all, I mentioned a procedure I was having last week.  That procedure revealed that yours truly has a stomach ulcer.  Queen Bee worrier right here!  I have a follow-up appointment tomorrow afternoon to see what else my doctor says but he has increased my meds to twice daily for a month and then I'll have a repeat scope in 6-8 weeks.  In the meantime, I am trying very hard to reduce my stress. How to exactly do that, I really have no idea.  Baking and cooking has always been relaxing and therapeutic for me, except when cookie dough kicks your ass.  :)  I also need to make time to get out and walk.  If I could take time off from work, I would totally do that as well, but its not in the cards right now.  I'm also adjusting my diet a little more, but if anyone can tell me where the switch is in my head to turn off the worrying and the stress, please let me know.   

Y'all have a good one!  


No comments: