Thursday, December 3, 2009

Decorating for Christmas

I just thought I had a lot of Christmas decorations, until I read some of the blogs I follow.  How so very wrong I was!  We've always measured how much I've had by how many boxes Jeff has to get down out of the attic.  I reduced the number a few years ago but now...after looking at all the gorgeous decorations and getting ideas, I think its a pretty good bet, those boxes will be increasing again.  I didn't hang the garland in my dining room like I usually do because I was trying to stay simple this year.  Now I wish I had put it up.  And I do want to add more decor to my big tree.  Like some ribbon, maybe poinsettias or berries to spruce it up some.  I remember my nephew asking me last weekend how many trees we had.  We have 4.  The big one, 2 skinny trees and a table top.  I'm finding out very quickly that is nothing compared to what others do.  I'm leaving for Canton tomorrow and I do have some Christmas decorations in mind that I want to get but now I think I'm going to be adding a heckuva lot more!  I have always loved the transformation the house takes on at Christmas...its like a whole other place.  I remember growing up how much I anticipated Daddy getting the tree and decorations down out of the attic and how much I loved helping Mom get the house ready.  There were certain decorations that went in the same place every year--I can still close my eyes and see it.  I love that memory.  I have been trying so hard to simplify things that I have sort of taken something away from myself by not going all out with my house at Christmas.  I do believe I am going to have to take that back now.  This is my favorite time of year and I love walking into the house when its decorated.  It feels very warm and cozy and I love sitting by the tree with the lights on and just enjoying it.  Yes ma'am...I'm going to take back my Christmas charm and start going all out again.  Yes indeed.  Look out Jeffery, here I come, Houston Oilers #1!  Oh sorry...I lost my head, I took a cue from my sister's post last night on Facebook...you'll have to check it out to see what I'm talking about.  Happy decorating!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

I "simplified" as well this year. Half of my decorations are still in the box. Not because I don't want to put up a lot a decorations, I've just got an itch to get new stuff. Bad idea, I know, but when you get an itch, soemtimes you've got to scratch it?