Thursday, May 20, 2010

Inspiration

So yesterday I spent the day at Brazosport College attending the very first Women's Health Conference.  My boss was originally supposed to go but she couldn't so I went in her place.  I had been having a rough couple of days so I wasn't really excited about going but I decided to embrace it and thought maybe a day out of the office and doing something different just might bring me out of my funk. 

It did.

And I owe part of it to the very inspirational talk of Linda Armstrong Kelly who just happens to be Lance Armstrong's Momma!  She was a wonderful speaker.  She talked about her early life as a child, how she had Lance at the young age of 17 and her life as a single Mom with Lance.  She was funny and honest.  I also found that she and I think a lot alike when it comes to the raising of our children..which made me feel so much better about the job I'm doing.  I don't know about you but there are days that I have doubts about whether or not I'm doing a good job or really the absolute best job I can as a mother. I know my kids are happy and healthy...but there is that doubt sometimes.  Do you know what I mean?  And the last few days I've doubted everything about myself.  I still have a lot of healing to do and a lot of confidence to build back up because it has been damaged, probably worse than it ever has been and there are days, like this week, that all of it really gets to me.

BUT...I'm better today.  Sometimes it just takes hearing that encouragement from my great friends and family who embrace me with support and so much love.  And sometimes, you get it from somewhere you never expected to get it.

Me & Linda Armstrong Kelly


I told Linda when I had the opportunity to meet her afterwards for a book signing just what she did for me and she told me, "Missy, just keep looking forward, never look back and you will be fine".  I thanked her for inspiring me that day & for giving back to me what I had lost for those few days. 

Looking forward is what I always try to do, but sometimes remembering the past gets the best of me.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so right but it is hard to do sometimes. I always think...what if I would have done this or what if I tried this first. Hind sight is always 20/20. Heave ho and forward. Love ya Aunt Cheryl

caryn said...

glad to hear you had a good time and that you are feeling better. know you are always in my thoughts and prayers!

Tricia said...

Love you!! I am so happy to hear (read) this!