Friday, December 10, 2010

Green Beans

How many of you like green beans?  How many of you don't like them?  Last Thanksgiving I found out that my Daddy doesn't really care for them and in fact, really dislikes green bean casserole.  I was shocked.  I had no idea.  I mean I never really paid that close attention to his plate whenever we would have green beans or the casserole, just assumed he had a helping on his plate...and he probably did.  Fast forward to this Thanksgiving.  As I mentioned when I posted my menu for turkey, green beans were up in the air.  Try as I may, Isabella just doesn't like green beans.  Fresh or canned, they come flying back out of her mouth if we manage to get one in there.  She must have picked this up from my Daddy because the rest of us love them.  And my brother Bryan hates green bean casserole as do his kids. I'm not even sure they like regular green beans. Hence our decision to possibly not have green beans with our Thanksgiving dinner.  As you may or my not know, I am a BIG fan of The Pioneer Woman's blog and back in October I FINALLY got her cookbook.  She too has helped me get back into cooking again (another post all together) and has wonderful stories about her life on the ranch.  She posted a recipe at the beginning of November for a green bean casserole that was a good twist to the favorite most everyone enjoys this time of year.  I totally wanted to try this recipe so I printed it and told my family we just might have green beans afterall.  I made it the night before Thanksgiving along with everything else. I was very leary about it when I finished it.  I got a taste of the sauce and something didn't taste right so I thought I had screwed it up.  I decided we would try it anyway and if I did screw it up, we would just feed it to the birds.  Much to my surprise and excitement, it turned out really good.  Daddy even liked it...A LOT!   I couldn't get Christopher or Isabella to try it but everyone else loved it.  It just might make another appearance in the future.  I've attached the link to the recipe at PW's blog so you can check it out.  If you like green bean and the casserole, you definitely must try this! 

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/11/green-bean-casserole/

No comments: