Tuesday, June 26, 2012

If You Grow It...We Will Pick It

A co-worker of mine came in yesterday with a bag full of corn to share with those of us who wanted some.  It was picked fresh from his brother's corn field.  I took a few ears because who doesn't love fresh corn, right?  He mentioned that we could go out to field and pick our own if we wanted. Well naturally I emailed my brother to let him know and he promptly suggests we go later in the evening about 7ish so it would only be 90 outside as opposed to 101.  I agreed. 

With buckets, baskets and bags in the car and two young pickers (Chris & McGwire) accompanying us, we were off to Tommy's corn field to get all the fresh sweet corn we wanted.  Bella stayed with Jana and Trey while we went to pick. This turned out to be an excellent decision because I'm certain we would have lost her in the field or she would have been whining for someone to carry her. We picked until we were too hot, sweaty, itchy, ready for a cold beer and a shower.  Ok well Tony and I were ready for cold beer, the boys wanted water. I'm not at all certain we got enough corn.  I'll let you be the judge...

First, here's Chris on his last trip back to the car to unload.  I cracked up went he came out of the field with his bucket and pockets full....




And here's the end result...what do you think?  Should we go back for more?


Yeah, I think we got enough.  The freezer will be plentiful.  Keep in mind, it wasn't all for us.  We're splitting this with several families and freezers.  By the way, we did see Tommy on our way out and he didn't think we had picked enough.  We laughed and laughed again because there were others out there who picked a ton more than we did.  :) 

Have a good one! 



 

No comments: