Friday, February 22, 2013

Holy Moly

Being sick stinks.  Being a mommy and being sick stinks even more and I have not been this sick in a very long time.  I can usually combat whatever is ailing me with over-the-counter medication, fluids, rest and whatnot.  But this...this took up residence in my body and wouldn't let go.  I am finally, after 9 days, starting to feel more and more like myself again.  I've missed me. 

The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend so I'm planning to get out in the yard and do some digging in the dirt.  Fire ants and sickness prevented doing much of anything last weekend, except spread fire ant killer.  Hopefully those little suckers are gone and I can get the existing flower bed cleaned up and start digging another one for some rose bushes.  I'm still not sure where I'm going to put these guys but I'll get it figured out.  I will share pictures with you once I have them in the ground.  :)  I also picked up some bulbs for lilies so I need to get those in the ground as well.  Bella will be so excited when they start coming up and blooming.  She has a love of flowers like her mommy.  I have to be careful though because she will pick anything and everything and some flowers aren't meant for picking.  Oh that girl.  One day she and I will have our flower garden full of picking flowers.  I just really wasn't thinking about our flower garden when I chose our current home with huge trees that shade the majority of our backyard (that shade is awfully nice in the summer time).

Christopher's birthday bbq went on as planned last weekend.  I was slow moving but I had lots of help from family.  My brother Tony did a fantastic job (as usual) guiding Christopher with the ribs, chicken and sausage on the smoker.   I didn't hear any complaints ;). 

I'd like to share this picture with you, its one of my favorite.  Thanks to Eric for capturing this moment.  We were all singing happy birthday to my boy and I snuck in a kiss...look at that grin on his face. :)) 

 
 
Here is the boy's birthday cake homemade by me...
 
A little history here.  When Christopher was little he always called cake "bread".  If you asked him what kind of cake he wanted, the answer was always "white bread with white icing".  So with that in mind, I decided to make him the cake he always loved as a little bitty boy.  He picked the sprinkles and I added the picture of him from his first birthday.  Awwww...such a cutie.  I also made him a platter full of chocolate chip hazelnut cookies he loves so much (Thanks for that easy recipe Laura!).  I know its not a beautiful fancy decorated cake but it was done with tons of love and to me, those are the best kinds of things, aka...the little things.
 
I hope y'all have a fun weekend planned. 
     

No comments: