Thursday, February 18, 2016

Garden Prep

We have slowly been prepping for our Spring garden.  I didn't put in a Fall garden this year.  The first year we had the garden I tried one and failed miserably.  Maybe I'll try again one day.  We tilled up the dirt back in November or December, I can't remember now, so it wouldn't be all grass come Spring.  We broke it up again this past Saturday and added 22 bags of manure/compost to the mix.


We were planning to head to Shady's later in the day to get our crawfish fix so Levi graciously offered to help us out to our work done a little faster, or should I say, Kristian offered Levi's help, ha!  Crawfish at Shady's goes quickly so we didn't want to miss out.  After we got the bags emptied, we went to work spreading it.  Even baby girl helped out.  She loves getting the garden ready for planting.  


The guys made a few more passes with the tiller to get all the manure worked in and we are set until March for planting.  Good thing because I haven't decided what all I'm planting this year. 

While at Lowes Saturday getting the "poop" as Bella says....I scored this African Daisy beauty in the clearance section for $8!!  I was super excited about that.  


I also picked up a new toy that we put to good use while tilling the garden up.  You would have thought that we had pulled out all the roots from the trees by now, but we still came across a few Saturday.  See those red beauties below for $29....I'm the proud owner of a set now.  They came handy for cutting the tree roots we found.



They also came in handy when cutting back my rose bushes. I have a rose bush that I transplanted from a friend's house. She was digging it up & throwing it out because she didn't like it.  I know, I know. I cut it back quite a bit when I transplanted it but left a couple thick dead limbs on it.  I was already shocking it enough so we left those for pruning off this year.  My new toy took them right off so easy. 

That was our Saturday and we did make it to Shady's for crawfish.  We didn't stay long though.  We ate, had a couple beers and were all ready to head home to sleep.  

Sunday I worked out in the yard some more....like 3 hours more and man I felt it!  I dug up some roots in my side flower bed that I'm fairly certain was ginger root.  That stuff had taken over the bed and being right up against the house, I didn't like it.  I cleaned out all the leaves and weeds and trimmed back the Indian Hawthorn bushes that are on both ends of the flower bed.  I also cleaned up the bed around the pecan tree up front but I left the flower bed against the front of the house.  I was exhausted and sore so I opted to wait on that one because its in the worst shape.  I have a lot of digging up to do in that one as well.  That one is full of airplane or spider plants.  Its choking up everything else in there so I need to dig it out.  Maybe this weekend, we'll see how I feel. 

Friday night I started with a little cough in the evening. I didn't think anything of it because I felt fine Saturday morning.  Worked in the yard Saturday and Sunday and bam, it was back Sunday evening.  Monday morning I woke up feeling yucky with a gosh awful sore throat, and have felt that way all week, cough and all.  No fever, just yucky cough and my head feeling cloudy, for lack of a better description.  Needless to say I am looking forward to the weekend so I can sleep in a bit.  The kids will be at their dad's this weekend but home early Sunday.  

Y'all have a good one!


No comments: