Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Seventeen


Christopher Michael,

You are seventeen today.  How did that happen?  I'm taken aback again and again every hour that I have a seventeen year old kid in my house.  That just sounds, I don't know....old.  Its weird and very hard thing for me to swallow.  You are a great kid.  A good kid.  I hear that all the time from parents, teachers, acquaintances..."he's such a good kid".  You are quiet like your momma but once you get to know someone, you show your funny and crazy side.  Like your debut to the world all those years ago, you still take your sweet time about everything.  You come around on your own time and no one else's.  Some days that drives me absolutely crazy, others I admire it and wish I could be more like you.  Up until Christmas, you were all about your truck and fixing it up however, since you bought your new kayak you're all about fixing it up and going fishing as much as possible.  I love that.  Seeing you find something you love makes your momma happy which is what I love watching you run in cross country and track.  I think that's what also keeps you hungry all the time because you continue to eat everything all the time.  You will have a full meal at supper time and within the hour, I hear your rummaging through the frig or pantry looking for something to eat. I don't know where you put it.  I'm going to sound like you are a baby highlighting your favorites but this is my blog so I'm going hit on them here anyway....beef jerky, honey buns, Whataburger, beef tips, chicken crescent rolls, cinnamon crescent rolls, Reese's, pizza, mac n cheese, cheeseburger hamburger helper, tacos and the list goes on but those are the most requested. For drinks you a variety kind of guy...you will try just about anything and get on kicks with certain things but you never deviate from yellow Gatorade, period.  Neither does your momma. Strawberry Lemonade, tea, DP, Coke, Sprite, Orange Fanta, IBC Root Beer and occasionally orange juice if I have it handy.  I've also seen you sneak a Capri Sun from your sister's lunch stash a few times as well.  As far as fashion, you are easy. You are a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy.  You do have your tastes of shirts....American Fighter, Salt Life or American Eagle.  If I deviate from that, its a Johnny Cash tee I've found or something with fish on it. Jeans are from Buckle now but thankfully I've talked you into the less expensive ones.  You are a non-Sperry's brand shoe wearing guy.  You have found a Margaritaville brand from Rack Room that suit you just fine.  If you're not wearing those, its Crocs or boots.  You do own flip flips but you would rather walk barefoot in the summer.  That is MY kid!!  You have my love of old country music but still listen to the new stuff too.  You have a lot of Berger in you but I see a lot of your dad come out in certain things.  Its a good mix.  I'm so very proud to call you my son and as I said in my FB post earlier today..."In a week that is full of so many emotions, this day is the best day.  This day is the day you made me a momma".  Oh...and you STILL call me MOMMY, and not just between us but in front of friends and family.  That is something I absolutely love and will never get tired of hearing. I love you too much Christopher Michael!  Happy 17th Birthday son...may this be an awesome year!!


1 comment:

Steffani said...

Hugs Mama! You definitely have some lows and highs this week! Focus on the highs - this day. The day you became a Mama! So happy BIRTHday to you and to your son. Hug him tight - I know you will :)