Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Wine & Wood

Remember back in February when I attended my first painting party?  Well, last Friday I went to my first wood painting party hosted by my same friend, Amye Jo.  This was so much fun.  We had a larger group of ladies this time but it made for an even better time.

This process took a little longer than the other party, partially because we had more people but too, there are several steps to this project as well.  And again, we had an excellent teacher!

Painting and staining our boards...

Getting our stencil ready...peeling all the letters out


Once you peel out all your letters, etc., you center it, 
stick it on your board and smooth out

Then you get a partner to help you peel the backing off...

Next, you begin dabbing your colors on. 
First you put a seal on with your "base" color

Then you add the color for your wording...

You layer this color twice.  
By the time you get to the third round, you're tired of dabbing.  
Dabbing becomes your worst enemy. Ha!

After this you rip off the stencil.  This was funny because all of us forgot that we had just dabbed our wording onto the board with paint, so we were all thinking that if we ripped the stencil, we would rip our words off.  Crazy girls.  You then take your handy dandy tool to pick out the pieces that are still stuck on your board as well as the insides of your letters.  Again, this is where everyone helped out those of us who had larger quotes.  




And our finished products!!!


I have a few extra paint spots but I have learned to like them.  They are in spots I didn't get a good seal with my stencil and where the wood was imperfect.  It makes it imperfect like me :).  I love it even more because I made it.  

I am signed up to attend a Java and Wood Painting Party in November.  We are doing Autumn/Thanksgiving themed signs (SQUEAL)!! Y'all know its my most favorite time of the year so I'm especially excited about that one.  I have also been invited to a Christmas party the first weekend in December but I'm having second thoughts about it because its going to be a rather extra large party, she's topping off at 40 people.  I'm not sure I want to do that.  I mean, I'm all about making a sign for Christmas, but I'm not sure I want to with 39 other people.  I like intimate small groups.  Call me weird, I can handle it. One thing you should know for sure is if I go, I will share my results with y'all.
Hope you are having a great week.  I woke up with a massive headache that lingered with me throughout the day.  I would have been happy to have stayed home and slept but no such luck. Oh well.

Y'all be good.


No comments: