Thursday, March 7, 2013

Out Of The Mouths of Babes

Background...

Every Wednesday my family gathers for dinner, usually at my dad's house.  I had always wanted to start a weekly family dinner, even before my mom passed away but never did.  Once she was gone, I had an even bigger reason to start doing them, to make sure my daddy got at least one good home-cooked meal a week.  Dinners started at my house but when remodeling and construction and mess got in the way, it shifted to daddy's, and has pretty much stayed there.  With the exception of my older brother Bryan, we all live in town within a few miles of each other and I wanted us to stay close because sometimes life would take over and it would be weeks before we would get to see each other.  I didn't like that so I thought family dinner might help.  It did.  I'm pretty sure my family would agree when I say everyone looks forward to our dinners each week.  I know the kids do. 

So last night was no exception...it was taco night.  Nothing special about it but its a simple, quick dinner that we haven't had in a while so Tony and I decided that's what we would have this week.  Dinner was great, conversation was great, company was great...all was right in the world.  That is, until me and my children are getting ready to leave.  We cleaned up the kitchen, picked up toys, gathered all of our belongings, I pick up Bella and she says to me.......

B:  What's wrong with your tummy mommy?
M:  Nothing.
B:  Uh huh, its big cuz you got a baby in there!
M:  Um no honey, I can assure you there is no baby in there!
B:  But your tummy is big!  (poking at my stomach)
M:  Ok so I'm done eating...FOREVER!
B:   Its big mommy.

Point taken.  Serious diet under way.  Its not like my stomach is huge but its not flat either.  Sigh.  I have been talking about losing some weight.  If I hadn't been feeling so bad when I went to the doctor I probably would have thrown a fit or passed out one when they weighed me.  Have only seen that number 3 times in my life, and I was pregnant every time.

I've already scaled back my portions, although from the picture I posted on Instagram last night of my taco salad, you wouldn't have known that.  It was good...but I didn't finish all of it.  My eyes were bigger than my tummy.  Well...when I was fixing my plate, it was.  Apparently later, it was HUGE!!

No comments: