Monday, October 12, 2009

Potato Soup

Yes I know its 80 degrees outside here in Southeast Texas and I'm talking potato soup...but at least its not 98.  It was raining off and on today so that made me want to cook something like soup and since I was off and finished my running early, I decided to oblige my hankerings.  You can't beat this recipe...its so dadgum easy.  My boss made this for lunch one day at work about a year ago and we loved it.  I've made it once with a few tweaks of my own and it turned out great.  And shhh, don't tell anyone but the hubby had two bowls of it!  I know!  Can you even believe he ate soup?!!?  I'm afraid to say it out loud, that maybe it won't happen again.  See, I figured I could get away with making a pot of soup on a Monday because generally I don't cook on Mondays.  Mondays are leftovers, sandwiches, frozen pizza, can of soup...I think you get the picture.  So I figured I'd make a pot of soup and the boys would eat something else and I would get the whole pot of deliciousness to myself.  Slurp!  Didn't work.  However, I'm excited the hubby ate two bowls of soup because the hubby never eats soup...unless its really, really, really cold outside because he doesn't particularly care for soup.  I tease him all the time saying he married into the wrong family because my family loves us some soup, especially homemade chicken noodle soup.  Slurp!   Not the hubby...but he's coming around I think.  Today was proof.  So I made this potato soup that's really easy and I'd like to share it with you.  Are you ready?  Cuz if you blink, you might miss it...

Potato Soup

1 bag shredded hash browns (frozen)
6 cups water
7 tsp. Wylers Chicken granules
2 packages cream cheese
1/2 jar Pace Mild Queso
Salt, Pepper, Garlic, 1 tsp. dill

You throw all that into a pot and let her go.

Now when we made this at work, it seemed like it wasn't thick enough for potato soup so when I make it I add a packet of peppered country gravy to help thicken it up--a trick I learned from my brother, thanks Tony, wink.  I also add...are you ready?  Bacon.  Now I cook my bacon, crumble it and put it in there because I don't eat bacon that's still moving and if I'm adding bacon to my soup, I want to be able to enjoy it too.  Plus, the bacon also gives it a nice flavor.  Oh yes, when I'm feeling frisky like I was today I'll add just about all the queso to the mix, and then finish the rest off with a bag of chips.  Ha!  Anyway, here it is and I hope you like it.  Like I said, its easy and its delicious.  Enjoy!   

1 comment:

Denise said...

Saw your link on Rhoda's blog, I'm in TX too so thought I'd come by and say hi :) LOL about the soup, I just made chicken corn chowder this weekend, thought the weather was gonna be cooler but we were still in the high 70's!
Have a lovely Monday.
Oh, and stop by if you get a chance, I'm having a give-away for BCA month :)
Hugs
Denise