Friday, October 28, 2016

From The Fair

We wrapped up the Brazoria County Fair last weekend and I was kind of glad to see it go but also sad because truthfully, I do enjoy our fair.

Before I get started with all the week long festivities, let me share with you Toot Marie's artwork that was chosen for the fair.


She placed second and was super happy.  I was so proud of my girl.  I love her animals.  This was the best picture I could get because they displayed her artwork waaaay up top.  Short girl problems!

The week started out with my niece and nephew participating in the calf scramble and I am proud to say, they both caught a calf!  Brandon took a beating but he won out in the end.

Brandon with sponsor.  

And with me :).  
The kids were with their dad this particular weekend so they missed the scramble. 

The next night was Kenna Bug...

Here I am with the previous night's calf catcher.  He had a huge bruise on his leg and a few scratches but other than night, he was good.


With her sponsor...


And her godmother :)


And now with me and her Mommy.  
Can you tell we're related?  Lol

The following weekend, I decided to try my hand at not one but two contests.  The last couple of years, I have entered the Rice Plus Cook Off.  In this contest, you can make a main dish, side dish or dessert but it must have rice in it.  The first year I made rice pudding and finished second.  Last year I placed first with rice zucchini muffins.  This year I wanted to try a rice pecan pie.  Even I was skeptical so I did a test run and had my family taste test for me.  I got a thumbs up so I decided to go for it.  The fair also has a Kitchen Pride Bake Off so I decided to see how I would do there.  It is a much larger crowd and a lot more entries.  I baked two rice pecan pies and let me tell you, I was not feeling it.  To top it off, when I took the pies up to the fairgrounds, I entered the Rice Plus contest first, then walked over to the Kitchen Pride contest.  The gal there was taking my information down and asked what kind of pie I had.  I told her and she asked if it had rice in it.  Yes ma'am it does so she tells me that I should probably take it next door to the Rice Plus cook off, I wouldn't have as much competition there.  I kindly told her I had already entered a pie there too, just wanted to see how I would do here.  Guess I showed her because this girl right here not only took 1st Place, but received an Outstanding ribbon and was Grand Champion of the Bake-Off.  

Look at those pretty ribbons...


And the winning pie!

Here I am getting my picture taken with Brazoria County's Little Miss and Little Mister 

It wasn't until we left that I realized what I had done.  Tony even told me he didn't understand why I kept asking how many pies were entered because I had won the WHOLE BAKE OFF!!  I was the GRAND CHAMPION!!!  Finally!  I found something I'm good at.  I have a talent!  I do enjoy baking.  I enjoy baking for others. Its relaxing and good therapy!

Later that night I spent some time chasing this girl from ride to ride...


 I have to say she had the time of her life. She loved getting to do the rides at the carnival.  She was laughing, squealing, jumping up and down, waving her hands in the air just having a good time.  






After we finished rides, we walked back to the cook off area.  We didn't have a team this year but some close friends did so we were still able to hang out there.  Bella had some friends across the way so she would spend time playing with them running back n forth.  Ronnie Milsap was playing at the arena that night so Tony stayed back at the camp while I walked over to the arena to hear Mr. Milsap.  Oh my gosh, he was awesome!  So glad I was able to see him.  My pictures aren't good at all...




And with that, I will close out this year's Brazoria County Fair.  We had lots of fun and look forward to next year to see what it brings.  I know we'll have at least two heifers to show, or rather...Makenna and Brandon will! 


 

No comments: