Monday, January 23, 2017

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

I was first introduced to this version of soup a couple of years ago when my cousin Dina made it for us at a party she hosted.  It was so good that I requested her recipe to make it for a party I was hosting a few months later.  It was a hit again.

For the most part, my children are picker eaters. Christopher has gotten better and will eat more but when it comes to soups, neither of them will venture past good ole Chicken Noodle Soup.  I can't blame them really. It was fed to them at a very early age so they were destined to love it like the rest of our family. Perhaps if I pureed all the vegetables in this soup, they might give it a try.  I doubt it but it might be worth a shot.  I'm not sure how corn would puree though (insert weird face look).  I decided since the babies were at their dad's for the weekend and wouldn't be home until after supper Sunday, this was my perfect opportunity to make CTS.

So here is the hit recipe for super simple Chicken Tortilla Soup...

1 lb. shredded cooked chicken
1 can (15 oz) whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chili peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
1 (10 oz) package frozen corn
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
7 corn tortillas
vegetable oil

Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies and garlic into a slow cooker.  Pour in water and chicken and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and bay leaf.  Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

As you can see above, the recipe also calls for corn tortillas and vegetable oil.  It instructs you to cut the tortillas into thin strips, lightly brush with vegetable oil and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes until crisp.  These are to sprinkle over your soup.

I totally went the lazy route and bought a package of these tortilla strip at the grocery store.  They work just as well.

Ta daaaaaaa.....


I added the store bought tortilla chips and some cheese to my bowl of soup.  The only thing missing for me was avocado.  I thought I had some but realized close to supper time I did not and I was not about to get back out in the crazy wind just for avocado.  My soup was still delish and hit the spot for me.  

No comments: