Saturday, March 26, 2011

Motherhood

I would be lying to everyone if I told you that in my now 12 years of motherhood, I told you I haven't had struggles with my children.  And now is no different.

Marie...
This sweet bundle of prissiness is now 2...and she knows what she wants and she wants it now.  Not later, not when you can figure out what it is she wants, not after you set your stuff down or heaven forbid go to the bathroom, but right now.  She is funny.  I still have no idea why she wants a "poon" (spoon) with her muffins but I give her one because it makes her happy.  She grins at me and says "thank you mommy".  How can I refuse that?   Or when she's watching a movie and I'm finally able to sit down she screams "MOOOOOOOMMMMMMMYYYYY" and I say "WHAAAAAAAT?" and she says "I WANT YOU".  Again, how can I refuse that? or when she won't let her brother buckle her up in the carseat and then later, get her out. Or when at 9:17 at night she wants chocolate chip muffins instead of wanting to go to sleep.  I love that she runs to me in excitement every single day when I pick her up at daycare and squeezes my neck.

I absolutely  love that she goes to sleep snuggled up next to me because I know one day she won't want to do that. 

George...
First I need to know if all 12 year old boys are the same in that they dont want to shower, put on deodorant and  brush their teeth?  Is this a universal thing or just happening in my house?  It drives me nuts that my child would rather walk around smelling funky than do any of the above things.  I am constantly having to ask him "did you put on deodorant?" "did you brush your teeth?"  When he says no I ask why and the standard answer is "i don't know."  Same with homework.  I can look through his folder, go over everything making sure he has done it and he will still come home with a mark the next day because he didn't do a sheet. The standard answer for this is "I forgot".  When I go over everything, ask about each assignment, you still forget?  But I love that he will still hug me and give me a kiss good-bye even though he is 12 and that's not the cool thing to do when his friends are around.  He will still snuggle with me at home when he gets the chance and this sweet 12 year old boy still calls me Mommy.  I smile every time I hear it because I can't help but wonder how soon Mom or Momma will replace Mommy.         

1 comment:

Soph said...

Enjoy all those moments because soon they will be gone. I miss those moments! And as for the 12 year old boy stuff...I think it is something in the male brain.

I love the fact that he still calls you Mommy. Juan even at the age of 21 would still call me Mommy, not all the time but there were many times he did. Don't want to make you cry but that was the last word he said to me.