Monday, September 7, 2009

Kolache Day, cont'd

We hit it outta the park!! 

We had some laughs, boy did we have some laughs!  We had fun and we hit it outta the park!  Even after all the quadruple checking of the recipe and almost adding egg whites to our cheese mixture instead of egg yolks, we still made some pretty tasty kolaches.  We did have to make a call to Aunt Mona to verify a couple things but we figured it all out and got it done.  We've made some notes for our next attempt, which at this writing may very well be this Saturday again.  Daddy and Jeff told us we didn't get any points for presentation but taste wise, we got it.  My sister told me today that her in-laws told her that she's a real Bohemian now that she's made kolaches.  I even feel more like a Bohemian.  I feel that we've made our ancestors proud.  Ok...that's probably pushing it a little but dang it....WE MADE KOLACHES and THEY WERE GOOD!!  Here are some pictures from our day....

Makenna, our little helper.  She was just waiting to get her hands dirty with Mommy and Aunt Mimi.  She stirred and poured ingredients for us. Here she is posing for me as we were getting the dough going...



This is me getting my hands dirty and mixing the dough so we could let it rise, not once but twice...



Once we got the dough mixed, we had to let it rise.  Here it is before we covered it...



And here is Cindy filling the kolaches with the cheese mixture, which by the way she doesn't eat.  Sue does not like cream cheese nor does she like cottage cheese--we had good laughs when she was mixing this together.  I believe she even licked her finger (not thinking) and about had a fit when it hit her tongue...good times!



Ready to go in the oven....cheese, strawberry, dewberry and pecan.

Almost ready to come out and eat!!


And finally, enjoying all our hard work!! 


I really liked the pecan kolaches.  My cousin Dina had told me about a place that had them.  I had never heard of pecan kolaches but I googled a recipe for the filling and we tried it out.  They were a hit.  The cream cheese were excellent, as always.  Dewberry (Blackberry to those who call them blackberry) were good and I must admit I didn't try the strawberry, maybe next time.  I'm so glad I have this blog to document our fun with this and the pictures we took.  We had such a great time Saturday creating this family favorite.  I foresee many, many more Saturdays of kolache making in our future.

1 comment:

caryn said...

these look great! mike wants to know if you can ship us some and I want to know if you will share the recipe!!