Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Quiet & Shy

I am a very quiet and very shy person.  Many times in my life this shyness has been mistaken as me being a snob...and it continues.  I am uncomfortable in many situations, just not knowing how to talk to people, always afraid of saying the wrong thing and looking like an idiot.  I stick to the people I know like glue in any social setting.  My poor husband has a permanent attachment for the rest of his life.  I think he is beginning to finally understand how truly sick to my stomach and nervous I get when I'm around people I don't know--even sometimes around people I do know. Jeff has never had this problem.  The man can walk into a room full of people he doesn't know and by the end of the night...he will know more than half if not all of them.  Me, I'm tucked off in a corner or attached to his hip hiding.  I hate being this shy and I try really hard but sometimes it gets the best of me.  For instance, when I'm shopping or running errands by myself, I many times will not see someone I know because I am in my shy zone.  I keep to myself because I don't think you want to talk to me.  On a confidant day, I just might see you and say hello.  Yes people, I am this shy.  But please don't take offense to this, I'm not being a snob, I'm not ignoring you the way you think I am, I'm just in my shy zone.  I feel like only people who are this way can truly understand what I'm trying to explain here.  This past Saturday our very own Angleton Wildcats football team was in a play-off game against Rosenberg Terry.  Daddy, Tony, Cindy, Chris and I all went.  Some of my former classmates were also at game.  After the game, the classmates all went to Pizza Hut to visit and celebrate our win.  I hesitated going but with a little nudge from Jeff, I did go...and I had fun.  I was a nervous wreck the entire time, but I had fun.  So I'm trying and after putting all this out there for y'all to read and laugh about, I will say I do feel like I have gotten better over the years.  Still not where I would like to be, but better. 

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Sometimes at Wal Mart when I see someone I know and they haven't made eye contact with me yet, I will go a different aisle. I will do this until the end of my shopping trip.